I found this recipe online and changed it up a bit to my liking.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups of Avocado oil or Sunflower oil (as long as its a high heat oil)
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs or panko (I used panko, however making your own may stick better)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of Italian herbs/seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1 (48 ounce) jar of tomato sauce or equivalent mashed tomatoes or just make your own sauce (I used a mushroom & green pepper premade sauce)
- 1 pound of vegan mozzarella cheese Shredded or not (I used like a 1/4 pound shredded, depends how cheesy you like it)
- 1 box Penne Pasta ( I used half a box)
- Fresh Basil for garnish
- Preheat over to 400F and prepare a baking sheet with a wire rack (i actually used the over sized wire rack that was in my microwave. (FYI- I don’t promote the use of microwaves, I don’t use mine)
- Prepare eggplant by slicing into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Mix salt and pepper into oil. Prepare breadcrumbs by mixing together with Italian herbs, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bread eggplant starting with oil mixture followed by breadcrumbs. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining eggplant slices.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy
- To assemble, slather enough sauce to cover bottom of your casserole dish, layer with crispy eggplant (cutting to fit if necessary). Dollop more sauce on top of each eggplant slice, followed by mozzarella cheese and sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Repeat with second and/or third layer, filling in spaces with more sauce.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil, serve over Penne Pasta.