Building a healthy immune system is very important, in order to do this we have to live a healthy lifestyle. We have to eat healthy foods, stay away from sugars, drink lots of water, exercise and have a positive mind. The lifestyle we choose to live will determine how sick we get, or how healthy we get.
Symptoms of the Flu: Prostration, fever, chills, sore throat, headache, aching behind the eyes with sensitivity to light, abdominal pain, hoarseness, cough, enlarged lymph nodes, aching of the back and limbs, and frequent vomiting and diarrhea. The person feels cold and shaky, but is sweating. Serious complications, such as pneumonia, sinus infections, and ear infections, can develop. The earliest signs are similar to those for common cold: weakness, headache, and aching in the arms, legs and back. He may feel feverish, and then chilly. The flu also generally bring on a dry throat, cough and extreme weariness.
Cause: Also known as the flu, influenza is a highly contagious viral infection of the respiratory tract. It is easily spread by sneezing and coughing. Individual strains continually change, so vaccines are not very successful.
There are 3 main types of influenza A, B, and C. Type A is the most common; all are airborne and most frequently spread by droplets (coughing, sneezing, kissing, sharing drinking glasses and towels). Flu epidemics occur every 1-3 years, generally in the autumn or winter. A major epidemic occurs about every 10 years, because the virus type has changed.
Because it is a viral infection, influenza may appear suddenly after an incubation of only 1-3 days (most frequently after 48 hours after exposure). So begin treating it as soon as you can. The quicker you start treating a physical problem, the easier and more quickly it can be eliminated. After 2-3 days, the fever usually subsides; and if cared for properly, the other acute symptoms rapidly diminish. But the cough, weakness, and fatigue may persist for several days or weeks.
- Take an enema at the first symptom. For fever, take catnip tea enemas, plus a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of lobelia tincture every 3-4 hours until fever drops. This is also for children.
- Give fluid (fruit juices, vegetable soups, water) to replace fluid and electrolytes lost through sweating, diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Drink atleast 10 glasses of water a day, to keep lung secretions thin. Give vitamin C to bowel tolerance (3,000 mg or more, spaced throughout the day). Also vitamin A (25,000 IU for 1 week) and B complex. Vitamin A protects the lining of the throat (best to take it in the form of carotenes: carrot juice and green and yellow vegetables). Zinc (15mg, three times daily).
- Do not take antibiotics, for they have no effect on the flu virus. Do not Smoke, drink Liquor, use coffee or eat junk food.
- Take Echinacea and goldenseal, because influenza can lead to secondary bacterial pneumonia,
- Eucalyptus oil vapors are also good.
- A useful herb is slippery elm bark powder (1 tablespoon) mixed with boiling water (1 quart) and honey (half a cup). Put in jar and give one teaspoon every 3-4 hours for cough and sore throat.
- Gargle with salt water to help relieve the sore throat (1 teaspoon salt in 1 pint of warm water)
- Soak Feet in hot water to ease a headache or nasal congestion. Occasionally breath deeply in and out, to refresh and strengthen the lungs and remove wastes.
- Humidify the air in the room, make sure the air is warm, but also has a current of air to keep it oxygenated. But it should not be drafty
- Keep warm. Back rubs may be given for comfort.
- Eat Raw garlic
Fact: During the 1918 flu epidemic, about 20 people in one area ate raw garlic daily with their meals. None of the 20 contracted the flu.
We have to be careful with this influenza virus, as it can be fatal, especially for children and the elderly. We must take care of ourselves better so our immune systems stay strong and are able to fight off these virus’s and bugs. If not already, get on a healthy diet, eat lots of vegetables, fruit and healthy foods. Stay away from junk food, especially sugar. All sugar does is lower our immune systems and will make everything worse. If possible, limit the processed foods you eat or rid them all. We must break away from the routines that we are used to and eat more of a raw/whole foods diet. This is what will keep us well, not microwavable foods. Anything you put in the microwave takes away any nutrients and/ or vitamins that are in the food and sometimes it can be more harmful to eat. Do your studies, you will find the proof. Also remember to wash your hands, anytime you touch anything, you should wash them to avoid any germs, or bacteria. We can all live healthy lifestyles, this is our choice. If you need help, just pray and God will help you.