Symptoms- Frequent and loose watery bowel movements. This is often accompanied by cramping, abdominal pain, thirst, sudden need to eliminate, vomiting, and possible fever.
Severe diarrhea can produce a loss of essential electrolytes, such as potassium, and result in pale pallor, listlessness, and dark circles under the eyes. Diarrhea in infants is serious, something must be done right away. If the child has five or more watery stools a day, consider it diarrhea.
Causes- Overeating, food poisoning, stress, incomplete digestion of food, taking certain drugs, flu, intestinal parasites, caffeine, contaminated water, infection (viral or bacterial), eating certain foods such as, unripe fruit, spoiled protein, or rancid fats, or eating soap from improperly washed dishes, ingesting certain chemicals, inflammatory bowel disease(Crohn’s Disease, ulcerative colitis, etc..), cancer, traveling to foreign countries, poor digestion, or lactose intolerant from milk products. Sorbitol, the synthetic sweetener found in diet products, can cause diarrhea.
- Treatment and prevention require clean food sources, careful food storage and preparation, self discipline, and cleanliness.
- Because of the on-going diarrhea, as much as 30% more protein than normal is needed, as well as an increased intake of minerals and trace elements.
- Avoid xanthine-containing foods such as chocolate, tea, coffee, and spicy foods. Also void drugs, cold liquids, and carbonated beverages. All these may produce diarrhea.
- Milk may also induce diarrhea. Lactose intolerance and virus are leading causes of diarrhea.
- In case of chronic diarrhea, electrolyte and trace mineral deficiencies are likely. Rice water, lime water, potato broth, and fruit will restore list electrolytes.
- Use fiber (bran and pectin) foods in order to tighten the bowels and stop the diarrhea. Garlic is helpful in purifying the gastro-intestinal tract.
- Carob Powder is high in protein and helps stop diarrhea. It is rich in tannins, which helps the bowel wall resist diarrhea. Give 15 grams of carob powder with applesauce to children.
- Peppermint tea will ally spasms, diarrhea, or digestive disturbances.
- Cooked rice controls irritable diarrhea
- Slippery elm tea provides soothing relief. Open 2-3 370mg capsules and mix with water into a paste. Take a tablespoon of the paste or mix with mashed banana or applesauce. (both will help with reducing diarrhea. Bananas restore lost potassium and add fiber.) I usually buy the slippery elm bark tea in the powdered version by the pound. I boil water then add a tablespoon of the powder in the cup first then I slowly add the hot water as I mix with spoon in a fast motion to prevent the powder from sticking together. I usually use half cup or a little over of water. Then I let it sit for a minute or two and eat it with a spoon, sometimes it is too hot so keep mixing and blowing on it before you eat it, but make sure you eat it quickly before it cools down. You want to eat it while it very warm. Do this 2-3 times a day.
- Activated Charcoal works very well. 1 heaping teaspoon of powdered activated/pulverized charcoal every 2 hours until gone. (charcoal is especially good for food poisoning and getting bacteria out of the gut) Charcoal takes out all of the bacteria (good and bad) so it is good to take a probiotic for at least a week after.
- Diarrhea depletes the body of vitamins and minerals in the food, so supplements are helpful.
“Always study and teach the use of the simplest remedies, and the special blessing of the Lord may be expected to follow the use of these means which are within the reach of the common people.” E.G.White